Thursday, March 24, 2011

Random pictures and a recipe

Here are some random pictures from the last week or so....

Lately when I've vacuumed, the kids have liked to crawl under the chairs I move into the front room.  O gets all excited and says "tunnel! tunnel!"

Play-doh has been a big part of our days recently.  It's normally played with right after a meal while I'm cleaning up.  It keeps them busy and I get clean up done a little quicker.  Although the other day I turned around to check on them and spotted S putting a big chunk of play-doh in his mouth.  I should have took a picture because the look on his face was priceless.  If he could say "gross!" he probably would have!  But you know that won't keep him from doing it in the future! :) 
The pictures of S I took while he was on my lap so they are a bit strange but that's ok.



This is becoming a favorite past time of Miss O...

Look Ma, no hands!


The stretch!

Look at that form!

And the recipe:
The last couple of weeks we have been doing a modified South Beach Diet at our house.  It's good because I'm actually getting my husband to eat some veggies!!  Anyway, we had this meal this week and it was really good!  I will be making this one again so I thought I would share it.  It is found in The South Beach Diet Cookbook.

Meatballs with Tomato and Zucchini Medley
1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper(divided)
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
6 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese(divided)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 can(16 ounces) Italian-style cut tomatoes
1 can(16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil(I actually forgot this ingredient and it was still good- I'll probably use some dried next time)

In a large bowl, combine the beef or turkey, bread crumbs, egg, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper, Italian seasoning, and 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.  Form into balls the size of walnuts
Spray large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.  Add meatballs and cook for 15 minutes, or until browned and no longer pink inside.  Remove to a bowl.
In the same skillet in warm drippings over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender.  Stir in zucchini, yellow squash, cut tomatoes(with juice), crushed tomatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons cheese, and meatballs.  Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.  Stir in chopped basil.  Serve over whole wheat fettuccine.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking O needs to go to dance class! Did S eat the recipe you made? Thank you so much for sharing pics of the kids....I love them (and the pics!) so much!!!

    ReplyDelete