I would like to say I've been busy doing constructive things and that is why I haven't posted in a while. The truth is, I've been kind of consumed with the disaster in Japan. When I have time to get on the internet during naptime, I have been checking my email, my friend Andrea's blog, and then seeing what update I can find on what is going on in Japan. It can take over your time if you let it! And I have been trying out several new recipes that take alot of prep work so I do that during nap time as well. Anyway, here are some pictures of my trip to Japan last May. I wasn't in the area that was affected by the earthquake and tsunami but I wanted to share anyway just to make sure Japan stays in everyone's thoughts and prayers. I have a fear that I will share with you. I fear that people will not think that they need to donate money since Japan is a "rich nation." Please don't think this. The Japanese people need our help as well as our prayers. If you would like to look at one organization that is already in Japan and mobilizing people to help with relief and recovery go here. Now on to the pictures. Here are just a few. I came home with over 600 pictures so I had to pick some favorites.
When I got to Japan we went to a zoo. In the pictures below there's a photo of a red panda... very rare.
Here is a shrine we went to- Heian Shrine I believe.
We also went to one of Andrea's friend's cafe called Karashidane. It's a Christian owned business who also does some social work.
Andrea had to go to language class a couple days while I was there so I walked around some. Here's one of the street markets I walked to(Nishiiki or Teramachi, can't remember). Very interesting.
Here's a couple pictures of the trains about everyone in Japan rides. The first one is an underground waiting platform. The second picture is of an empty train car. Funny story... sometimes you have to run from train to train to make connections. We had to do so this time but when we got on no one else got on. After a very short while someone came through and Andrea asked where this train was going. The gentleman said this train was done running, it was at the end. We did get to the right train and I got the picture I was wanting so it all worked out! :)


Another day we went to Kobe and rode the Kobe Ropeway up a mountain and then walked down through a herb garden halfway down and then rode the rest of the way. It was a cloudy, somewhat rainy day, so some pictures aren't the best.


That's all the pictures for now but I'll try to post more later this week.
A side note... it was a wonderful day outside today. The kids and I spent about an hour and a half at the park. I knew it was time to go home when S started walking towards a picnic table where some kids and moms were eating and started signing "eat! eat!" So I had an idea and we came home. Look what we did:









Thank you Jenny for posting about Japan and Andrea. I too find myself looking for news of Japan on the internet, tv anywhere I can find info. The whole tragedy seems so more real to me knowing you were there and that Andrea is still there. So, keep reminding all of us of Japan.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking we might have to find an outside picnic table for you! I want to picnic with the kids outside!