Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Japan baseball

It's been a while since I blogged.  I would like to say I've been busy(which is true) doing constructive things but I can't really tell you what I've been doing the last week. :)  I know the last 3 days have been busy with a sick little boy.  S woke up Sunday fine but by 9am he had a 102.1 temp and it only went up from there... the highest being 104.3.  He had no other symptoms, just a little crabby.  Today his fever is down to 99 so hopefully it's over.  We will see what tonight brings.
Anyway, I know I had mentioned that I was going to post pictures of my trip to Japan last week.  I posted some but didn't get around to the others.  I think that turned out ok though because I'm going to try to post some each week.  I know other horrible things are going on in the world right now but I want to make sure Japan doesn't slip through(our) cracks.  Our American minds seem to be "out of slight, out of mind" sometimes so I want to do my part to keep Japan, and thus prayers for Japan, in the "spotlight."
So... back to my trip.  Probably one of my most favorite things we did on our trip was go to a Japanese baseball game.  I love baseball.  I can't wait until opening day.  March 31st.  I do cheer for a rather bad team but that's ok.  The Kansas City Royals need fans too!  (side note, I met a pastor in Japan who also is a Kansas City Royals fan!  He spent some time at a Seminary in Kansas City so he became a fan.  His church was in the area affected by the earthquake but him and his wife are ok and the church building was still standing.  I'm sure there are many hurting people in his church... please pray for them).
Here are some pictures from the game.  We went to the Hanshin Tigers stadium.

 

One of Andrea's friends from church is a big Tiger's fan and had some gear for us to wear.  If I remember right, Andrea didn't really want to pose for this picture. :)

 

A collage... what to look for??  Lots of people!  The stands are packed... literary... side by side... by side.  I am also standing by a plaque for Babe Ruth, who played in this stadium.  Andrea had heard there was a life size statue so we walked around the stadium once and couldn't find it.  We did the second time, and it is really tall, just not quite a statue. :) The balloons?  Between the top and the bottom of the 7th inning, this particular stadium has an interesting tradition.  Everyone blows up balloons and lets them go!  It's really fun to watch!  When I have several hours, I will try to upload a video of this so you can see it.  Very fun.

 There are several things that are different from American baseball atmosphere and Japanese baseball atmosphere.  At a Japanese game, there is singing/chanting all the time... really, all the time.  Each team has their own song/chant and the fans sing this while their team is at bat.  There is even a band at the game. Notice the boom sticks in the photos of Andrea and I near the beginnig of this post?  Everyone uses those or their hands to help with the chanting.  Very fun!  And the visitors bring their own fans and band as well!  Another difference is when a new pitcher comes into the game.  In the US he has to run from the outfield.  Here he gets to ride in a cart!
 Here we are with the team mascots!
You may think, why would Jenny post about Japanese baseball when there's a huge crisis in Japan right now??  Well, the Japanese people love baseball.  It's a huge part of their culture.  And right now even baseball has been affected by the earthquake.  I just read that opening day in Japan was suppose to be Friday but has been postponed to at least Tuesday.  Some players want it postponed until April 12 when the Pacific league starts their games.  The government is asking that games not occur at night due to the power outages and about half of the teams are in areas where there are rolling power outages.  It just shows me again how massive this disaster is.  Can you imagine a disaster so big that US baseball is postponed and night games can't be played because there is no power?  I can't.  So please remember to pray for the Japanese people and for the recovery, in all areas of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment