Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow day gingerbread men!

Just because the backyard looks like this:
and it might be a little hard to swing:

I thought we would make gingerbread men on Monday. :)  My neighbor loaned me her gingerbread man pan, her recipe, and her leftover jar of molasses(thanks Amanda!) for our snow day event.  I thought I would take pictures through each of our "steps" and I tried to write down some "O sayings" made along the way.  Here it goes!

O: "What ya doing Mommy?"
Me: "I'm getting ready to make a gingerbread man.  Do you want some?"
O: "No, butter sandwich"- background needed- O LOVES peanut butter sandwiches.  She has one about every day for lunch.  She calls them 'butter sandwiches.' Oh, to make the last comment funny... I was getting ready to make the dough at 7:35AM... doesn't matter what time of day, O always wants a 'butter sandwich'!
      
I'm kind of proud of the ones with S in them as I took the picture while holding him up to look in the mixer.  I'm sure it was a funny sight but the pictures turned out well!

Look at this next picture and 'hear' O say: "Mess!  Mommy clean it!"

Sometimes I feel bad that my little guys still can't do all the fun stuff O can do.  But then I look down and he is happily "stirring" his own contraption! :)

Here is the "squishing part" as O said.  Yes, S is unclothed.  The dough had to sit in the frig for an hour so we ate breakfast while it chilled.  S is too messy of an eater to eat with clothes on(I already do alot of laundry!) and we just hadn't gotten him dressed yet.  But you can have fun squishing without a shirt on! :)

So I cooked it and wanted to take a picture while it was in the pan in case when I got it out it all fell apart...
Hooray!  It didn't!

O had a hard time waiting for it to cool off to decorate it.  She kept taking about his head...

Finally we were able to decorate...
We used M&M's for the eyes, nose, and buttons.  I kept asking O if she wanted to put more buttons on and she said no.  Not sure if she has PTSD from us using M&M's as bribery for using the potty in the past but she didn't want to put more than 4 on. :)


And the finished product...

Now we get to eat!
O: "Mommy, I eat foot!"
Me: "Yes, O had a big piece!  His foot was big wasn't it?"
O: "I big foot too!" (as she puts her foot on the table to show me)

And the after snack faces...


And the after snack gingerbread man...

It was a fun time!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like it was so much fun!!! You are such a patient creative mommy!
    love ya,
    mom

    ReplyDelete