Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Walk to End Alzheimers

A year ago this past June my "Nanny" passed away. If you knew Nanny, you knew what a character she could be.  She was "Nanny" to all of my friends- Nanny because she said she was too young to be "Grandma" is the story I heard.  She was always there with a smile(and a big glass of instant ice tea!) whenever I saw her.  I knew she always was supportive of me.  If you happen to look at my wedding pictures and the picture of my Dad and I standing waiting to walk down the isle, you can see Nanny in the background.  When I saw this I started laughing and then realized that it was rather fitting that she was back there... always behind me and supporting me through whatever. 

 I always thought I was a favorite of her's... but every grandchild felt that way. :)  She loved roses and flowers... and Chinese food!  My lone relative that loved Chinese food!  I remember coming home from college and going with Nanny to lunch at the only Chinese place in town.  She also loved ribbons.  Ribbons where all over her apartment.  When we were at the nursing home right before she passed away, S was only about 9 months.  Nanny had one of her ribbon boxes hanging in her room and S was playing with it.  I smiled as he played with it thinking she would be so happy he was enjoying her ribbons. Even though we made it to her before she passed away, she wasn't able to recognize us. She hadn't been able to recognize us for a while.  She had dementia.  She had been fighting it a long time before she passed away(she was a stubborn lady too :) )  So next weekend, my family is going to join other family members and thousands more to walk to end Alzheimer's.  If you would like to join us in our walk or help by donating, please  go here

1 comment: