I haven't had many jobs in my life but I have to admit that my current job is my favorite. It will be a job I hold for the rest of my life so I guess it's good I like it. :) I may, someday in the far future, go back to "work" but nothing will compare to what I get to do everyday now. I get to stay at home with my kids.
Where is this coming from, you ask...
Well, last week the kids and I had to go to the grocery store. I can't remember what we were out of... probably milk, I never remember to get milk. Anyway, we had to go. I try to plan grocery trips where just the kids and I go during morning snack time. That way they can sit in the "car cart" and eat as I run through the store as fast as I can to get what we need. Normally O is good about helping but sometimes she can be too much of a help. One time I came home with a $5 pack of hot dogs I didn't really want because she put them in the cart when I wasn't looking(I wondered why the bill was a bit higher...). Anyway, when we went into the store last week I looked to the North and saw huge storm clouds coming and knew I didn't have alot of time. We were in and out in a flash and made it to the car before the down pour happened. That did mean that we had to run from the car to the house though. As soon as we hit the porch, my children asked to stay outside. It was thundering and lighting so for a moment I was like "no, we need to go in" but then something made me stop and I agreed, as long as we stayed on the porch.
So we stood there and watched the rain come down, the lighting flash, and listened to the thunder boom. And of course there was talk of playing in the rain. "No," I would say, "not as long as it's lighting." They were patient though and finally the lighting stopped.
I realized later that day that this morning was a really special time. And we wouldn't have been able to share that time if I worked outside the home. I know that for some moms, working has to be the way it is. But I want to say that I believe every mom should stay at home with her kids. Your kids need you. And you need this time with your kids. Do whatever it takes to stay at home... disconnect your cable, get the cheapest internet, stop eating out... or move to a smaller house!! What's more important... a nicely decorated house, a new car, or being able to share rainy mornings splashing in puddles with your children(among other numerous, special occasions)? I'm not saying it will be easy, there's days I think going back to work would be easier! But it's worth it... so very worth it.
So I hope that maybe I have given one person something to think about...
As always, comments are welcome. :)


I am proud of you and James for making the sacrifices you needed to so you can stay home. You are right, if at all possible, staying home with your children is best. But for those mom's who can't, I say, have as many special jumping in the puddles times that you can. Time goes by so fast...next thing you know your kids are parents!
ReplyDelete