Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review

You know when you were in school and you had to do a book review and hated it?  Well, I hated it.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to read but I strongly dislike writing(which is odd since I have a blog...) so doing the book report was always hard for me.  And now I'm voluntarily doing one!  Well, one with my own requirements. :)  Actually, I have to be honest with you, I'm partly doing this to brag that I actually finished a book.  Well, I grown up book.  I finish at least 7-10 books a day but I don't think everyone wants to hear how Curious George was saved from his kite flying experience or how many animals Elmo and Ernie can count(I know the answer to both by the way!).  So anyway, I finished a book last week.  It was a pretty good one.  So here's a little bit about it...

Child of Promise
By Debbi Migit

This is a true story about the author's battle with infertility and their process of adoption.  I found it on super sale at a Border's that was going out of business(by the way, I heard all of them are closing so if you are like me and still have a gift card to one, go quickly!).  Since James and I are tossing around the idea of adoption I thought I would be a good book to read.  It was interesting to see how God worked in her life to bring her three children through adoption.  It showed that, even though the kids were adopted and not biological children, God provided the right children for their family at the right time, just as He does with biological children.  Having seen just a tiny bit of the other side of adoption/foster care through my previous job, it was really interesting to see the process through the adoptive parent's side.  It clarified why some of them continually called the office asking if we had any babies who needed an adoptive home. :)  The book raised a couple questions that I am thinking about in our life:
1. could we adopt a child from another race?  how would they fit into our family? our church? our community?
2. could we adopt a child through a private adoption in the US?(a baby??- I always thought I would adopt a child who was 2-3 years old and from another country)

So, if you are looking for a quick, easy read about an adoption story, I would suggest this book.

Now if I ever finish Bring up Girls by James Dodson(that I have been reading since February), I will give you another insightful book review. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment