Saturday, March 10, 2012

birthday cake

For my birthday in February, my mom watched the kids and James and I took a weekend trip to Oklahoma City.  I thought I forgot my camera but when I got back home James found it in my bag.  Opps.  So no pictures from our trip.  It was a good time though.  We saw a movie, went to the Oklahoma City memorial, a hockey game and slept in until 9:30 both days!!!  On the way back, we had lunch with my family and a good family friend.  Since it was a full weekend there's wasn't time for a cake.  Since I love my birthday and my kids love cake(ok... I do too!).  I decided to make one for myself on Monday.  And the kids helped me decorate it.  I found an easy recipe for homemade icing.  It was pretty good.  Here's the pictures of the kids helping me and I'll put the recipe at the end of the blog.

First, you need to get all your ingredients and supplies.

Pour it in...

Watch it go around and around and around....

Now time for the spreading

I made two round cakes so O and S could each have one to spread icing on.  S was a little hesitant, which surprised me since he loves to be in the kitchen and help me cook!  I ended up spreading most of his for him.

O loved it!  She dug right in and didn't have any problems at all!

Now for the sprinkles!!!


S's came out a little fast. :)  


They were proud of their job... and so was I!  It was a wonderful birthday cake!

Fluffy Fruity Frosting

16 ounce strawberry flavored cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 to 4 drops red food coloring
8 ounces whipped topping, thawed

Beat cream cheese until softened.  Beat in powdered sugar, milk, and food coloring.  Fold in whipped topping.

I found this made plenty of frosting.  We frosted our round layered cake and I filled a quart freezer baggie with the leftovers.




1 comment:

  1. I love that the kids are in the kitchen and learning early to cook! What a wonderful birthday cake!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete