Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May day baskets and Cinco de Mayo recipe

I'm covering the first week of May 'holidays' all in one post. :)
My friend Amy(of Taloola Kids) gave me a link to a website on how to make May Day baskets.  Now I have no idea why May Day is celebrated.  I probably could look it up on this wonderful invention of the internet but I don't.  I just remember as a kid making a construction paper basket with construction paper flowers and putting it on my neighbor Judy's door, ringing her doorbell, and running away as fast as I could.  I really don't know what I liked better, the making of the basket or the fact that I rang her doorbell and ran away before she answered it.  Yes, I was a rebel of a child. :)
Anyway, I decided to have O do some May Day baskets. S is really not into anything crafty at all.  At all.  So I'm going to have to try to come up with something exciting for him to do when O and I do crafty stuff.
First step... glue the stems on the construction paper flowers.



I kind-of forgot to take some pictures of this step for a couple reasons.  1. I was trying to cook supper at the same time(bad planning on my part). 2. It's kind of  messy step.  See what I'm talking about...

The basket is two paper plates, one cut in half and stapled to the bottom half of the second one.  We hadn't used glitter in a while so I thought it would be fun to use glitter to decorate the basket part.

Now there's glitter all over my house(and probably the houses of my 3 neighbors!)

Once the glitter dried(the next day), O added some more color and her name...

And the flowers went in!

I'm surprised but she took alot of time at this step.  She made sure each flower went into the right basket.

The finished products...


I didn't get any pictures of the handing out process but everyone was very grateful for the baskets.  No, we didn't ring the doorbell and run away(we won't have made it far before they answered the door).  But I noticed one neighbor still has hers hanging on her door. :)

Now for the Cinco de Mayo recipe.  This has to be our favorite Mexican type meal!(except for just plan tacos... can never go wrong with just plan tacos!)

Enchilada Casserole
1 pound hamburger
1 small onion(chopped)
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small can chopped green chilies
1 small container sour cream
1 bag cheddar or monterrey jack cheese
1 package fajita sized tortillas

Brown hamburger and onion until meat is done.  While browning, combine the enchilada sauce, soup, chilies, and sour cream in a large mixing bowl.  Drain hamburger and add to sauce mixture.  Mix well. 
There are two ways to make this
1. spray crock pot sides an bottom with cooking spray.
2. spray two round pans or deep dish pie plates(I make one for supper that night and freeze the other one since this freezes really well!)
Place a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the crock pot or pan.  Place a tortilla on top and then spread a big spoonful of the sauce mixture.  Top with cheese.  Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
1. cook in crock pot on high until bubbly, about 1 hour
2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 until bubbly, about 30 minutes

*If you chose to freeze this, just take out of freezer the night before and bake as directed.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment